Gurudwara Bangla Sahib
Introduction: Now the Gurdwara Bangla Sahib was once a bungalow owned by Raja Jai Singh of Amber (Jaipur). Guru Harkishan was invited by Mirza raja Jai singh and lived in his Bangla which was built on the model of the place of raja jai singh. A small tank was built by Raja in the Gurdwara, known as the “Sarovar” which is considered holy by Sikhs and water in it is known as “Amrit”. This water is taken to cure ailments. The Gurudwara also houses a hospital in the basement of the building which is run by Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee. Not only hospital Temple, Secondary School, Kitchen, Art gallery named Baghel Singh Museum. There is also an art gallery in the basement of the Gurudwara which depicts the historical events related with the Sikh history. Not only Sikhs but people from various religions, castes and places visit this holy place daily.
History: This was the place where guru harkishan, the eighth guru of sikh religion, lived when he visited delhi in 1664. Gurudwara building was built by Sikh General, Sardar baghel singh in 1783, who supervised the construction of nine Sikh shrines in Delhi, during the reign of Mughals. In 1664, during Guru Harkrishan’s stay in Delhi there was a terrible epidemic of cholera and smallpox. When guruji came to know about this problem he decided to do something. Instead of staying in the safety of Jai Singh’s home the Guru used to spend most of his time in serving the sick. He distributed medicines, food and clothes to the needy. However he himself died of smallpox at a young age, having taken upon himself the burden of all diseases of the city. He left on October 6, 1661 AD.
Address: Ashoka road, Cannaught place, Delhi-110001
Nearest metro station: Rajiv chowk or Patel chowk
Celebrations: Guru purab