Gurudwara Sis Ganj Sahib
Introduction: ‘Gurudwara Sis Ganj Sahib’ a beautiful brown building standing opposite to Fountain Chowk. ‘sis’ refers to the head of the guru. This is the place where Guru Tegh Bahadur and his disciples were beheaded under the orders of the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb. Legends has it that because of the great sacrifice of Guru Tegh Bahadur, the Hindu Religion still exists in the world. Situated in Chandni Chowk area “Sis Ganj sahib” is one of the oldest and historical Gurudwaras of Delhi. The Gurudwara building has two entrances which welcome more than 10000 devotees daily. Just like other Gurudwara’s it also has a well and a tree inside the Gurudwara premises. The main structure of the Gurudwara is a huge open hall. It houses the guru granth sahib, the sikh holy book under a beautiful bronze canopy. At night, the book is ceremonially carried to another room in Gurudwara premises known as “shayan kaksh”. More than 200 rooms and 200 lockers are also there in the Gurudwara building for the visitors and the travelers who love to stay here for a period of time.
Just like Gurudwara Bangla Sahib and many other Gurudwaras of Delhi, Sis Ganj Gurudwara is one of the most visited tourists place.
History: After denying to be converted into Islam, the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb imprisoned Guru Tegh Bahadur and later beheaded him with his two disciples under a banyan tree at Chandni Chowk. His head was carried by some of his followers to Anandpur Sahib and his body was sent to the place where he used to live for cremation which today is known as the Gurudwara Rakab Ganj. Construction of Gurdwara Sis Ganj Sahib has been completed on Wednesday, November 24, 1675.
kirtan timings: 5:00am to 9:00pm
Address: Chandni Chowk, Delhi-110006
Contact no: 011-23266589
Nearest metro station: Chandni Chowk
Celebrations: Guru purabs, Diwali